This argument has been around forever and, unless you live alone or in a fraternity house, you’ve had this discussion. I never quite understood the argument about someone falling in if the toilet seat is up but that’s ok. Happy wife, happy life…so whatever you do at home is up to you. HOWEVER, public restrooms are where the “toilet seat down” decision no longer makes any sense to me. I contend that public restrooms should ALWAYS be “toilet seat up”.
Assumption: People (of both sexes) feel that toilet seats are inherently dirty and don’t want to touch them. Minimizing handling of the toilet seat is key.
I used to think that men were the problem, spraying all over the toilet seats. However, in my discussions with some cafe owners, it seems the ladies room is just as bad. Some women don’t want to sit down so they “squat and hover”. If you think men have a difficult time not hitting the toilet seat, women don’t even have the benefit of being able to “point an appendage”
If we use the rule of toilet seat down:
- Men who raise the toilet seat will not pee on the toilet seat
- Men who don’t raise the toilet seat will most likely pee on the toilet seat
- Men who sit will not pee on the toilet seat
- Women who sit will not pee on the toilet seat
- Women who hover will pee all over the toilet seat
If we use the rule of toilet seat up
- Men won’t need to raise the seat so they will not pee on the toilet seat
- Men who sit will lower the seat and will not pee on the toilet seat
- Women who hover will not pee on the toilet seat
- Women who sit will lower the seat and will not pee on the toilet seat
As you can see, with the toilet seat down option, we will most likely have a dirty seat, further causing people to not want to touch the seat to raise/lower and almost guaranteeing that the seat will be dirty.
With the toilet seat up option, we will most likely have a clean toilet seat since the only people that need to touch the seat are the ones who need/want to sit. The only potential issue is if people lower the seat to use and then leave it down since WE ARE ALL CONDITIONED TO LEAVE THE TOILET SEAT DOWN!!!
I’m sure things most likely will never change but for those of us who like using public workspaces, it would be great if public restrooms are most likely clean rather than most likely disgusting.
Feel free to discuss in the comments.